[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Feb 15 12:02:12 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 08:46:44AM -0500, Andrew wrote:
>> Not elite enough to use two package managers?  I use Linux to simplify my
>> life, not complicate it.  Dependency tracking distros that do not have
>> every piece of software for the operating system do not make my life
>> simpler.
>
>Although I should add that creating REAL packages for Debian is one of the
>more time consuming of all package creations...  Not so much the dependency
>information but changing practically every mention of Linux into GNU/Linux
>while slavering away like Pavlov's dog in a clock store at high noon and
>putting all the bits of program into where Debian wants them...

Hm, I haven't run into that, but then, I don't create the packages for
others to maintain. So I pretty much ignore the Debian guidlines for
this. Mybad.

>I admit if you _do_ do that you create a very high level of consistency but
>Jeebus, I ain't that picky about things, even for a Linux-elitist, and
>certainly not for software I don't intend to maintain a package for.

I get really picky, if I am admining a lot of identical machines. But
since I rarely do that...

All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.