[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Feb 15 12:00:20 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 08:11:23AM -0500, Andrew wrote:
>> I consider myself a Linux guru by far, and still I'm using Mandrake
>> on my home computer. I like it and would recommend it to anyone,
>> beginners and experts alike. What I don't like is the Debian folks'
>> hubris.
>
>While not all Debianites are like this I have to agree that in general,
>the only group more annoying than the Gentooists are the Debianists.
>
>For me, Slackware is the true elitsts' distro.  Perhaps SLS if it were
>still around.  :-)   I've tried to like Debian, I really have, but
>frankly it's just too much damned work for me.  I haven't met a distro
>with a dependency tracking package manager that I've actually liked
>since they all fall into the same trap...  the second I need software
>that isn't in package or source package form I am now stuck using two
>package managers; the one the distro uses and the one in my head.

This can be a problem, but I for one, prefer to let the distro handle
the main stuff, and any changes I need, I either repackage as a .deb, or
handle in /usr/local. It works well for me, I've never considered myself
very 'leet or anything. Although if someone wants to send me one, I'll
happily wear an "I R 'leet" button...

"Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."
-- Lily Tomlin