[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Feb 15 11:43:39 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 04:03:05PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
>On Sunday 15 February 2004 11:01, Jim Richardson wrote:
>> >So, this Debian hype is causing a lot of damage and it's high time it
>> >stopped.
>>
>> Much like the hubris of someone who attempts to claim that all Debian
>> "folk" act in this manner.
>>

>Hmmm... well, sorry if I said so or implied that. Some of my best friends are
>happy Debian users and I have deep respects for them both technically and
>personally.
>
>However, I was referring to the subset of Debian users who propagate this
>anti-everything else hype. I believe the Debian community as a whole should
>not sanction this kind of behaviour, and if there was a strong discipline
>against it, it could be avoided.

Discipline how? Presumeably you are referring simply to this kind of
dialog?

>Note that I've seen similar anti-everything else hypes in other places where
>two technologies compete for the same niche.

as have I, which is why I found your brush unacceptably wide :) I am
glad we've cleared that up.

>> I've been a happy user of Debian for a couple of years. With a few
>> notable exceptions, I like all the distros I've tried. But I stick with
>> Debian personally. Makes no never mind to me what you use, or advocate.
>> But I dislike being tarred with such a broad brush.
>>

><nod />. Sorry again.
>
>Regards,

tnx.

I have noted the behaviour you mention in some. It's annoying, no matter
what distro they are pimping. It's possibly more prevalent in Debian
than some other distros, for the simple fact that Debian is rarely a
distro you start with, but is often the second or third/forth, whatever,
distro you try, and stick with. It doesn't excuse the behaviour you
mention. But like many such things, it's a vocal minority doing the
dirty deed.

I know that when I switched to Debian, it was for two basic reasons. The
good things I had heard about it, and the way SuSE screwed up their rpm
naming choices, making it damn near impossible to use any other rpms
without seriously compromisign the install. I still like SuSE, and
recommend it as a starting distro. But I no longer use it, or recommend
it for those who want to do something more than just klick the update
button.

You cannot reason a man out of a position he did not reach through reason.