[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sun Feb 15 11:25:27 PST 2004

Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

[Debian default installer for 3.0/woody:]

> Oh that's a pretty "unique" way of saying that they still rely on the
> 2.2 kernel.  There's all sorts of reason why doing this is a bad
> idea....

At the first screen (as indicated), hit F3 to see the choices of boot
flavours.  One of them is "bf24", which will give you a 2.4.18 kernel
with backported fixes, compiled without initrd usage.  You are of course
intended to replace this after installation with a kernel better suited
to your hardware.

For cutting-edge hardware, you might need one of the installers with
more current kernels than that.  See "Installers" on
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian .

> > I know for a fact that Mandrake cannot say the same, as their default
> > install has used 2.4 kernels for several years.
>
> As does the rest of the world.

As does the Debian 3.0 default installer.  All you have to do is pick
the bf24 boot flavour.  (The above applies if you're installing from an
Official Debian 3.0rN CD-ROM image, where N is a release number.  If
you're using floppy imagees, just use the bf24 flavour _images_.)

> I take it you have never tried to install Debian on a piece of hardware
> that was built in the past 3 years?  It's a huge pain in the butt.

I take it that you're not familiar with my page (or other relevant
documentation).  ;->

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!