[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Jon Portnoy avenj@gentoo.org
Sun Feb 15 10:16:50 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 12:21:30PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

> > * Debianists think Debian is the best possible distribution for all purposes.
> > They think all other distributions are inferior, no matter how much their
> > people like them.
>
> Reason being, it is the distribution where every architecture (11
> officially supported right now) is treated the same. Can you say that
> about Mandrake, RedHat, Gentoo?

Gentoo, certainly. We have ports to amd64, ia64, alpha, sparc, ppc,
mips, hppa, and a broke-as-fuck ARM port. If a port is in bad shape it's
because the maintainers are slacking (or left -- the ARM people were all
pals with Zach Welch, who forked to create Zynot when nobody would do
what he wanted).

> > So, please get off the tree, and become as humble and as non-intrusive as the
> > rest of us.
>
> So, I am guessing those Gentoo biggots aren't intrusive either?

No argument here. We have a lot of stupid users that I'd like to beat
with a crowbar. We also have a lot of intelligent users. This is the
case with any distribution, with the possible exception of Lindows.

--
Jon Portnoy
avenj/irc.freenode.net