[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sun Feb 15 09:14:52 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 02:55:26AM -0800, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Yes, the Debian camp is very full of hubris. Among it is:
>
> Let me open by saying, I'm a veteran Debian user, and also prone to
> outbursts of hubris.
>
> > * That they think or claim that it is the only distribution that is
> > truly free software, which is a direct insult to the other open source
> > distros out there.
>
> I don't know of any other Linux distribution which does the kind of
> thorough license checking that Debian does.
>
> In fact, AFAIK, Debian's default install doesn't contain any kernel code
> which has been claimed by SCO.

Oh that's a pretty "unique" way of saying that they still rely on the
2.2 kernel.  There's all sorts of reason why doing this is a bad idea,
and none of it has to do with SCO, so don't try to claim that...

> I know for a fact that Mandrake cannot say the same, as their default
> install has used 2.4 kernels for several years.

As does the rest of the world.

I take it you have never tried to install Debian on a piece of hardware
that was built in the past 3 years?  It's a huge pain in the butt.

thanks,

greg k-h

Proudly making Debian claim the Linux kernel is "not free" since
1999...