[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Sun Feb 15 07:03:20 PST 2004

On Sunday 15 February 2004 11:01, Jim Richardson wrote:
> >So, this Debian hype is causing a lot of damage and it's high time it
> >stopped.
>
> Much like the hubris of someone who attempts to claim that all Debian
> "folk" act in this manner.

Hmmm... well, sorry if I said so or implied that. Some of my best friends are
happy Debian users and I have deep respects for them both technically and
personally.

However, I was referring to the subset of Debian users who propagate this
anti-everything else hype. I believe the Debian community as a whole should
not sanction this kind of behaviour, and if there was a strong discipline
against it, it could be avoided.

Note that I've seen similar anti-everything else hypes in other places where
two technologies compete for the same niche.

> I've been a happy user of Debian for a couple of years. With a few
> notable exceptions, I like all the distros I've tried. But I stick with
> Debian personally. Makes no never mind to me what you use, or advocate.
> But I dislike being tarred with such a broad brush.

<nod />. Sorry again.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il