[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Sun Feb 15 05:11:23 PST 2004

> I consider myself a Linux guru by far, and still I'm using Mandrake on my
> home computer. I like it and would recommend it to anyone, beginners and
> experts alike. What I don't like is the Debian folks' hubris.

While not all Debianites are like this I have to agree that in general, the
only group more annoying than the Gentooists are the Debianists.

For me, Slackware is the true elitsts' distro.  Perhaps SLS if it were still
around.  :-)   I've tried to like Debian, I really have, but frankly it's
just too much damned work for me.  I haven't met a distro with a dependency
tracking package manager that I've actually liked since they all fall into
the same trap...  the second I need software that isn't in package or
source package form I am now stuck using two package managers; the one the
distro uses and the one in my head.

I have yet to try out Swaret but it looks like it's heading down the same
troublesome path.

-A.