[linux-elitists] On spam, stamps, and hygiene

Phil Mayers p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk
Sun Feb 15 03:48:58 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 07:53:16PM -0600, D. Joe Anderson wrote:

> And from a purely "avoid even the appearance of impropriety"
> point of view, this conversation sucks tremendous ass.

Well, it was intended as a humorous (admittedly black comedy) comment on
the fact that a great many people feel a large amount of frustration and
possibly disproportionate anger at the spammers who are filling their
mailbox.

But hey, sorry if that worries you. Naive though I may be, I like to
think I live in a world where I won't get arrested for cracking a joke:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-04-11&res=l

There was a recent event that someone proclaimed as "heralding the death
of irony". If only I could remember what it was.

> Not to mention, from a purely economic point of view, the lack
> in the efficiency calculations of the product of the probability
> of getting busted with opportunity cost of getting life without
> parole, or the needle, or getting hit back.

"the needle" is one of the many barbaric practises that we in "old
europe" don't engage in. Of course, there are many places in the world
where they do that, but my government (spineless though it may be in many
ways) won't extradite me there.

Of course if retaliation were a possibility I also don't live in a
country where significant guns can be owned - dilemma, eh?

This point is irrelevant since I'm no more likely to either kill or
have a spammer killed than I am to grow wings and fly to the moon. As
another poster in this thread mentioned, I prefer technological
solutions. Cutting off someones broadband is *worse* than death.

> "Hello?  Ken Wiwa called.  He'd like to ask you a few questions
> for his next hit piece on Linux."

Think geo-location DNS records and space-based lasers, and then we're
talking. Of course the DNS would need to be secure...

--

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers                              |
| Network & Infrastructure Group           |
| Information & Communication Technologies |
| Imperial College                         |