[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Tim Hammerquist tim+linux-elitists@vegeta.ath.cx
Sun Feb 15 02:55:26 PST 2004

Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Yes, the Debian camp is very full of hubris. Among it is:

Let me open by saying, I'm a veteran Debian user, and also prone to
outbursts of hubris.

> * That they think or claim that it is the only distribution that is
> truly free software, which is a direct insult to the other open source
> distros out there.

I don't know of any other Linux distribution which does the kind of
thorough license checking that Debian does.

In fact, AFAIK, Debian's default install doesn't contain any kernel code
which has been claimed by SCO.  I know for a fact that Mandrake cannot
say the same, as their default install has used 2.4 kernels for several
years.

> [...] claiming that IceWM is the official elitist Desktop/Windows
> Manager. Linux is about choice.

Besides, everyone know the official elitist wm is sawfish.  ;)

> 2. Did not know it was perfectly legal to sell free software. (he
> thought it must be given away for free)

It is, in fact, *NOT* legal
to sell GPL'd software[2].
appear otherwise.

This is just a very frequent misconception.  So "Frequent", in fact,
that it's addressed several times in the GPL FAQ:
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html>.  You should read it
sometime.

> So, please get off the tree, and become as humble and as non-intrusive
> as the rest of us.

Pot: "Psst! Hey Kettle! You're black!"

:r!dict hubris
1 definition found

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 :

  hubris
         n : overbearing pride or presumption

Apparently, you'll fit in just fine here.  Just get a couple facts
straight so we can have some right proper debates here.

(I won't even require you switch distros!)

[1] Of course, use of nVidia drivers also taints the system...
[2] BSD licenses are another issue altogether.

Cheers,
Tim Hammerquist