[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Feb 15 01:01:13 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:12:27AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
>On Friday 13 February 2004 22:56, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
>> begin  Shlomi Fish  quotation:
>> >
>> > Why do people here automagically assume I'm using Debian? There's an
>> > awful lot of Debianism here.
>>
>> 	It's the elitist's distro.  Duh.
>>

>What? Where? Why? How come?
>
>I consider myself a Linux guru by far, and still I'm using Mandrake on
>my home computer. I like it and would recommend it to anyone, beginners
>and experts alike. What I don't like is the Debian folks' hubris.
>
>Yes, the Debian camp is very full of hubris. Among it is:
>
>* Debianists think Debian is the best possible distribution for all
>purposes.  They think all other distributions are inferior, no matter
>how much their people like them.
>
>* That they think or claim that it is the only distribution that is
>truly free software, which is a direct insult to the other open source
>distros out there.
>
>* That it is a small country with a lot of red tape and a great
>inability to make burning decisions quickly.
>
>* That the Debian Free Software Guidelines are getting on everybody's
>nerves lately because they are being applied to other forms of media,
>which is clearly not software.
>
>* That a great deal of them are otherwise arrogant,
>hyper-collectivists, and self-centered (why should we release
>SRPMs/RPMs? We use Debian!).
>
>So, claiming it to be the official elitist distribution is not better
>than claiming that IceWM is the official elitist Desktop/Windows
>Manager. Linux is about choice.
>
>So, please get off the tree, and become as humble and as non-intrusive
>as the rest of us.
>
>For the record, I once encountered two newbies who installed Debian
>because they believed it was the only truly free software one. They
>brought their computer all the way to Haifa, as the installation went
>weary, and X-Windows wouldn't start. Yes, the installation did not go
>flawlessly.
>
>When I talked to one of them some other time he:
>
>1. Did not know Mandrake, RedHat and friends were not open source.
>
>2. Did not know it was perfectly legal to sell free software. (he
>thought it must be given away for free)
>
>So, this Debian hype is causing a lot of damage and it's high time it
>stopped.

Much like the hubris of someone who attempts to claim that all Debian
"folk" act in this manner.

I've been a happy user of Debian for a couple of years. With a few
notable exceptions, I like all the distros I've tried. But I stick with
Debian personally. Makes no never mind to me what you use, or advocate.
But I dislike being tarred with such a broad brush.

>> > I happen to be a happy Mandrake user.
>>
>> 	Nothing wrong with Mandrake.  It's a fine first distribution.
>> I recommend it to most beginners.
>
>It's also a fine distribution for experts.

Windows XP... now runs all your favorite viruses.