[linux-elitists] On spam, stamps, and hygiene

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Sat Feb 14 17:53:16 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:35:09AM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On  7 Feb 2004, Phil Mayers <p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Or extra-legal action...
> >
> > A friend of mine pointed something out (he's what you might call
> > "morally challenged") over a beer the other night:
> >
> > 1) Most spam is from ~200 sources
> > 2) Larger organisations, on the whole, expend more resources (even if
> > it's only compute time and bandwidth) battling spam.
> >
> > If HP, IBM, Dell, Intel, Microsoft, etc. were to meet up and do a quick
> > total of their costs fighting spam, I bet it would work out cheaper to
> > just have the spammers killed.
>
> According to a recent study, the average contract killing cost is
> about $17,000.  So from a purely economic point of view, it would be
> enormously efficient.

And from a purely "avoid even the appearance of impropriety"
point of view, this conversation sucks tremendous ass.

Not to mention, from a purely economic point of view, the lack
in the efficiency calculations of the product of the probability
of getting busted with opportunity cost of getting life without
parole, or the needle, or getting hit back.

"Hello?  Ken Wiwa called.  He'd like to ask you a few questions
for his next hit piece on Linux."

--Joe