[linux-elitists] On spam, stamps, and hygiene

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Sat Feb 14 15:35:09 PST 2004

On  7 Feb 2004, Phil Mayers <p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Or extra-legal action...
>
> A friend of mine pointed something out (he's what you might call
> "morally challenged") over a beer the other night:
>
> 1) Most spam is from ~200 sources
> 2) Larger organisations, on the whole, expend more resources (even if
> it's only compute time and bandwidth) battling spam.
>
> If HP, IBM, Dell, Intel, Microsoft, etc. were to meet up and do a quick
> total of their costs fighting spam, I bet it would work out cheaper to
> just have the spammers killed.

According to a recent study, the average contract killing cost is
about $17,000.  So from a purely economic point of view, it would be
enormously efficient.

  http://www.aic.gov.au/media/2004/20040203.html

--
Martin