[linux-elitists] Re: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder

Wendell Cochran atrypa@eskimo.com
Sat Feb 14 15:14:52 PST 2004

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:12:07 +1100
From: Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>

On 13-Feb-2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:
>> The thing is that: I many times encounter in correspondence or on
>> the Web words in English that I don't understand. So I look them
>> up in the online Merriam-Webster Dictionary. . . .

> I suggest that, instead of looking them up online, try looking them
> up in a physical, dead-tree dictionary, and reading the definition
> carefully.  IME, this makes the experience stick much better.

Here to reinforce & extend Ben's point: see also a dictionary of
usage like

* Fowler's _Modern English Usage_ (any of the 3 editions beginning
with 1926 Oxford)
* _The Careful Writer_ by Theodore M. Bernstein (1965 Atheneum)
*_A Dictionary of Contemporary American Usage_ by Bergen Evans &
Cornelia Evans (1957 Random House)

They tend to be more human than Merriam-Webster, Random, American
Heritage, New World, _et al._

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle