[linux-elitists] RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Fri Feb 13 14:12:07 PST 2004

On 13-Feb-2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> The thing is that: I many times encounter in correspondence or on the
> Web words in English that I don't understand. So I look them up in the
> online Merriam-Webster Dictionary. However, afterwards most of the
> time I forget them again. I don't want to forget them as I want to
> enrich my English vocabulary, which is pretty good, but still not good
> enough.

Your problem is non-technical, so assuming it requires a technical
solution may be premature.

The act of looking up a word on a website isn't particularly distinctive
to our brain from the zillions of other things we do with our computers.
I believe that our long-term memory needs an event a little more
concrete and distinguishable to connect with.

I suggest that, instead of looking them up online, try looking them up
in a physical, dead-tree dictionary, and reading the definition
carefully.  IME, this makes the experience stick much better.

--
 \            "Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody is |
  `\                                    looking."  -- Henry L. Mencken |