[linux-elitists] RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder

Willy Smith willy@LinuxGazette.com
Fri Feb 13 09:37:07 PST 2004

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> a program that will display a word and have me guess or think of its
> meaning, and when I think I know, the correct meaning would be
> displayed, and then I'll move to the next word, etc.

Here's a recommendation - try FlashKard. Two recent articles in LG:

FlashKard:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/view/241

Printing with FlashKard:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/view/248

The real question may be, "How do I best learn {whatever}?", whether it's a
foreign language or anything else. If you don't know what type of learner you
are (visual, aural, or kinetic), you may want to figure that out first.

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/scriptorium/textbook/learning.html

Developing your own methodology of learning, which fits you personally, makes
it easier and more efficient.

Another simple vocabulary memorization technique which may be helpful is this:
when you hear or read a word which you want to remember, try to use it
yourself that same day. Even saying or writing a new word right back to
someone helps me learn it, although I may have to be reminded again.

Finally, there's a rule of thumb which says "to learn a word, you have to
forget it twice." Depressing, but in my case at least seemingly true.

--
Willy Smith
Editor in chief