[linux-elitists] RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder

Peter Clay pete@flatline.org.uk
Fri Feb 13 08:37:22 PST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> a program that will display a word and have me guess or think of its
> meaning, and when I think I know, the correct meaning would be
> displayed, and then I'll move to the next word, etc.

#!/bin/bash
NWORDS=`wc -l /usr/dict/words | cut -f1 -d' '`
BIGRAND=$(($RANDOM * 32767 + $RANDOM))
WORDNO=$(($BIGRAND % $NWORDS))
WORD=`head -n $WORDNO /usr/dict/words | tail -n 1`
read
dict $WORD

(dependancies: bash2, dict, some words (debian wbritish-small is good))

> Requirements/Nice to Have's are:

> 1. Preferably written in Perl/Python/Ruby. I think it's insanity to write such
> things in C, and I can't handle Tcl very well.

It's probably also insanity to write it in sh, but ...

> 2. Multiple groups and categories of words preferably nested. One can choose
> which category or selection of them to practice.

Yes - well, depending on what you've got in /usr/share/dict

> 3. A nice GUI or a very convenient CLI.

Yes.

> 4. I18n would be nice, but not an absolute must.

Yes - apt-get install wcatalan or whatever.

> 5. Open Source or very close. (a must!)

I hereby place this email into the public domain, renouncing all copyright
in it.

> 6. Stable and as bug-free as possible. (I have enough bugs on my hands with
> programs I did not write as it is now)

Well, there can't be that many bugs in 10 lines of shell.

> 7. Preferably stores everything in an SQL database. (MySQL, Postgres, etc.)
> XML files would be nice as well but less ideal.

Plain text with no <> just about qualifies as well-formed XML.

> 8. Conveniently opened in its own window. (not full-screen)

xterm?

> 9. Last but not least - a good one with many options and easy to use.

I can't make it any easier. And real elitists implement options by
changing the binary. On disk. With a magnetized needle. (gconf arguments
passim, etc.)

> own, but would rather not re-invent another ad-hoc wheel if I can help it.

Here's a wheel. The question is, do people want fire that can be inserted
nasally?

Pete
--
Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                                   | Digital       /  / | |