[linux-elitists] RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder

Tilghman Lesher zgp-org@the-tilghman.com
Fri Feb 13 07:49:44 PST 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 09:01, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> The thing is that: I many times encounter in correspondence or on
> the Web words in English that I don't understand. So I look them up
> in the online Merriam-Webster Dictionary. However, afterwards most
> of the time I forget them again. I don't want to forget them as I
> want to enrich my English vocabulary, which is pretty good, but
> still not good enough.
>
> So I'm looking for a recommendation for a good Vocabulary builder.
> What I want is a program that will display a word and have me guess
> or think of its meaning, and when I think I know, the correct
> meaning would be displayed, and then I'll move to the next word,
> etc.

It doesn't really fit your requirements, but it may fit your desired
outcome.  Why not use fortune(6)?  There are many fortune(6) related
wordfiles, and it could do two things for you.  First, obviously, it
will introduce the word, and second, it will display the word in
context, in a possibly humorous way.  Contextual humor is more likely
to make a particular word memorable than simple vocabulary builders.

-Tilghman