[linux-elitists] RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Fri Feb 13 07:01:03 PST 2004

The thing is that: I many times encounter in correspondence or on the Web
words in English that I don't understand. So I look them up in the online
Merriam-Webster Dictionary. However, afterwards most of the time I forget
them again. I don't want to forget them as I want to enrich my English
vocabulary, which is pretty good, but still not good enough.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a good Vocabulary builder. What I want
is a program that will display a word and have me guess or think of its
meaning, and when I think I know, the correct meaning would be displayed, and
then I'll move to the next word, etc.

Requirements/Nice to Have's are:

1. Preferably written in Perl/Python/Ruby. I think it's insanity to write such
things in C, and I can't handle Tcl very well.

2. Multiple groups and categories of words preferably nested. One can choose
which category or selection of them to practice.

3. A nice GUI or a very convenient CLI.

4. I18n would be nice, but not an absolute must.

5. Open Source or very close. (a must!)

6. Stable and as bug-free as possible. (I have enough bugs on my hands with
programs I did not write as it is now)

7. Preferably stores everything in an SQL database. (MySQL, Postgres, etc.)
XML files would be nice as well but less ideal.

8. Conveniently opened in its own window. (not full-screen)

9. Last but not least - a good one with many options and easy to use.

Looking for things like that in Freshmeat would be like looking for a needle
in a hay stack. So I'm asking you. I can also write something like that on my
own, but would rather not re-invent another ad-hoc wheel if I can help it.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il
Homepage:        http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/