Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 10 23:27:42 PST 2004

on Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:30:55PM +1100, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> <quote who="Rick Moen">
>
> > Quoting Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org):
> >
> > > You are... not concerned about the reliability of your own, or a large
> > > number of other people's email.
> >
> > Beg pardon?  My systems don't send out crudmail, so speak for yourself,
> > sir.  On the other hand, they do reject some other systems' crudmail, and
> > 45x teergrube others'.
> >
> > You and Martin are alleging that (e.g.) my system is somehow responsible
> > for some downstream systems' inappropriate processing of my rejects, and
> > proceed from there.  My point is to call your attention to the faulty
> > premise, and thereby save wasted time.
>
> Read my mail again; I wasn't talking about sending crud. I was talking about
> your belief that trusting external processes during the SMTP conversation is
> sensible.

Yes, we've been down this primrose path once before, with results rather
similar to the current thread:  unsubstantiated vague allegations of
unholy occurances in the mail queue, should one go "outside", wherever
that is.

I'll give you a second opportunity to ignore my request for
clarification.

  - You've opened a DATA link for an incoming mail message.

  - You run checks with, for the sake of completeness, clamav,
    bogofilter, spamassassin, and Aunt Martha's Goodness Test, which is
    a VB script invoked via remote process controls on a Win95 box.

  - Something goes horribly awry, and you never complete the DATA
    receipt.  You don't send a 250 OK reply as required by RFC 2821.

  - Eventually the remote side gets tired of your wickedness, and goes
    off elsewhere for a while.

  - Some time later, your house is in order, and the message is
    retransmitted.

No data loss.

Peace.