Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Tue Feb 10 22:01:35 PST 2004

On 11-Feb-2004, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Ben Finney">
> > Your position, "don't rely on external processes at SMTP time",
> > seems dependent on a good definition of the confusing term "external
> > processes"
> Non-MTA-internal processes and protocols, used during the SMTP
> conversation.

Okay, that's a little clearer.  It allows me to ask this question:  What
is "non-MTA-internal" about a malware or spam scanner?  Isn't it a
matter of where we put the thing?

Presumably you'd be against packaging such tools with an MTA such that
they would become an integral part of the SMTP process.

This isn't pedantry; I'm trying to understand why you think malware
scanning or spam scanning is somehow more complex or unreliable than the
other tasks an MTA needs to do.

--
 \          "War is God's way of teaching geography to Americans."  -- |
  `\                                                   Ambrose Bierce  |