Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Feb 10 21:00:19 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> How do you differentiate between say, Spamassassin, and the various qmail-
> bits? are they not also "external processes" to the smtp conversation?

Because the *smtpd process (in qmail and postfix speak) pulls in the mail
and puts it in the queue for processing. ie, it puts it *on the disk*. If
you're analysing mail during the SMTP transaction, you can't. Well, you
could, but no one does. If something goes wrong, the MTA has to figure it
out and send a failure message or do something sane. That can be incredibly
hard to do right.

Personally, I don't need that complication. If a mail gets through my harsh
but simple MTA checks, I want it safely on the disk and ready for any stupid
crack rock policy stuff I want to throw at it. *That's* where things like AV
and anti-spam tools work best. If they fail, it's okay - I have a carrier
grade queueing system backing them up. ;-)

- Jeff

                                   A: No.
                               - Nick Moffitt