Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Tue Feb 10 20:38:59 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 02:40:02PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Jim Richardson">
>
>> > Read my mail again; I wasn't talking about sending crud. I was talking
>> > about your belief that trusting external processes during the SMTP
>> > conversation is sensible.
>>
>> What do define as an "external process" in this context?
>
>amavis, spamassassin, and other similar tools. They're great for policy work
>once you've actually got the mail safely on your disk and queued. You should
>probably go back to the very beginning of this thread, and read the linked
>discussion - none of the rest of this thread has actually had anything to do
>with that.

Oh I've been following the thread. The reason I ask the question I did,
is to lead into this one.

How do you differentiate between say, Spamassassin, and the various
qmail- bits? are they not also "external processes" to the smtp
conversation?

To be clear, how does the "thou should not involve external processess"
fit in with an MTA made up of many small bits that each do a small fraction
of the job handled by the monolithic MTAs like Sendmail or Exim?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.