[linux-elitists] Re: Postfix anti-antivirs

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Tue Feb 10 19:03:09 PST 2004

On 11 Feb 2004, Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> On 11-Feb-2004, Martin Pool wrote:
> > On 11 Feb 2004, Phil Mayers <p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > So *I* am supposed to absorb the spam to help forged@example.com.
> >
> > example.com never did anything to you.
>
> Likewise, Phil (as destination) is doing nothing to example.com.
>
> The MTA attempting to pass malware on to the destination may fall back
> to a bounce message, but the responsibility for that lies squarely with
> the relaying MTA, *not* with the destination.

I didn't say the garbage was Phil's responsibility or his fault.

I just said that it would be very kind of him to do this little thing
to reduce the amount of garbage ending up at example.com.  If he
filters after receipt, it will have that effect.

It does not require him to read the garbage and it does not impede his
ability to lart the relay and it does not increase the chance of false
positives.  It is just a nice thing he can do to reduce the amount of
noise that does not cost him anything.

--
Martin