Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Tue Feb 10 18:36:14 PST 2004

On 11-Feb-2004, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Ben Finney">
> > The misbehaving MTA is the one that:
> >
> >   - accepts the malware for delivery to a third person
> >   - tries to deliver it to the destination, which rejects it
> >   - sends a bounce message to the forged sender address
>
> Meanwhile, there's shrapnel in *everyone's* butt.

Not at all.  The destination has no shrapnel, since they rejected the
message.  That's a solution that scales:  every MTA that rejects it is
one less MTA acting as a vector for the shrapnel.

--
 \          "In general my children refuse to eat anything that hasn't |
  `\                           danced on television."  -- Erma Bombeck |