Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 10 17:06:35 PST 2004

Quoting Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org):

> Given that neither absorbing nor rejecting is likely to make the
> smarthost shape up, I prefer the one that does not annoy other random
> people.  Is that so bad?

Me, I would often end up teergrubing that smarthost, above and beyond
just rejecting a bunch of its mail.  Put the pain where it belongs.
Don't you?  It's the one trying to deliver those nondelivery messages
you speak of suffering from.

Let's back up:  You're saying MTAs that reject the smarthost's crudmail
thereby "cause" it to generate nondelivery messages to forged apparent
senders.  (I.e., you speak of nondelivery messages of being the "effect"
of such rejects.)  Sorry, I really don't accept that wacky model of
causation.

There's really nothing special about inappropriate nondelivery messages
sent to forged apparent senders, is there?  It's just more spam.
Sanction (and refuse delivery from) MTAs trying to deliver it, then.
LART'em until they bleed.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."