Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Tue Feb 10 16:16:14 PST 2004

On 11 Feb 2004, Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> On 11-Feb-2004, Martin Pool wrote:
> > This is a pretty common scenario: many viruses can now send through
> > smarthosts, and many infected home computers are configured to use
> > smarthosts.  Many smarthosts do not do virus filtering.  I agree that
> > they should, but the simple fact is that they do not.
>
> Do you agree that we should ask them to do so?

I am not always optimistic enough that asking seems worthwhile... but,
yes, I suppose so.

> If so, then how are we to identify such misbehaving MTAs?

On the destination machine, grep your logs to identify the IPs of the
worst offenders.  (Or scan your virus-in mailbox, or whatever.)  Look
up their domains.  Send mail to their postmasters.  Or feed that
information into one of the RBLs listing malware senders, or a local
blacklist.

--
Martin