Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Tue Feb 10 00:07:57 PST 2004

On 10-Feb-2004, Martin Pool wrote:
> In principle the smarthost admin could [manually determine the correct
> recipient host for a reject you generate].
>
> Of course if the admin was that smart and proactive then they probably
> wouldn't be relaying viruses in the first place, would they?

Which, IMO, is pushing the problem in the right direction.  If I'm
generating a reject for known viruses, then *whoever* is connecting to
me and trying to pass it on needs to:

  - FOAD (if they're doing it intentionally)
  - clean up their machine (if they're infected)
  - implement virus-reject policies themselves (if they're a smarthost
    blithely passing it on to me)

In all these cases, an SMTP-time reject seems my most appropriate
course.  If you're an unwitting vector for malware, it's your
responsibility these days to damned well *get* some wit, and stop being
a vector.  How does dropping the message silently move us forward?

--
 \     "Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished. If |
  `\                       you are alive, it isn't."  -- Francis Bacon |