rejecting spam at SMTP time (was Re: Postfix anti-antivirus (was Re: [linux-elitists] etc))

Gerald Oskoboiny gerald@impressive.net
Mon Feb 9 13:53:29 PST 2004

* Brian McGroarty <brian@mcgroarty.net> [2004-02-03 15:12-0600]
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:08:50AM -0500, Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:
> >
> > I recently started rejecting most incoming mail to my site, and
> > it feels great! (anything with SA score > 10 is rejected.)

> I see a lot of spam come trough mailing lists, especially via the
> Debian and FreeBSD lists.
>
> How do the list programs take to these rejected messages? Ever find
> yourself automatically unsubscribed from a list?

I have only been doing this for about a month, so I don't have
a lot of experience with it. (but that's part of the reason I
wanted to try it, to see how well it works, or doesn't.)

Before I started doing this I checked my existing mailboxes for
stuff with SA score > 10, but I just realized that I hadn't been
running spamassassin on list mail in the past, so that test was
useless. oops.

Checking my current exim4 rejectlogs (10 days worth), there have
only been two messages rejected from mailman-backed lists, both
from lurker-users@lists.sourceforge.net.

I don't know for sure, but I think most list software doesn't
kick you off due to a stray bounce here and there. But I should
modify my SA config to whitelist known lists or something.

I realize there's a risk that I'll end up bouncing legitimate
messages once in a while, but I decided I'm better off that way
than silently filtering and ignoring it. I remember once in the
past I got snail mail from Etrade or Datek or someone saying
"hey dude, your email is bouncing"; if I filter+ignore their
mail, they have no indication at all it wasn't received.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@impressive.net>
http://impressive.net/people/gerald/