[linux-elitists] Re: homedir repository

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Sun Feb 8 19:01:15 PST 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 00:27, Rob Walker wrote:
> So I know I am behind the times by a few years on this one, but where do
> you all keep your static data, config files, things you need on multiple
> machines?
>
> I know some people keep their home directory config files in bitkeeper,
> http://www.bitkeeper.com/v2_logging/contact.html .
>
> I was about to start using CVS, then realized that maybe one of the
> competing solutions was the answer.

Well, Ben Collins-Sussman, a core Subversion developer uses CVS for this
scheme, to sync his repository among several internetworked computers. He
says he uses CVS because it's the most common system todate, and he has no
idea in what ease he can install svn on it. (said also he'll switch to
Subversion when it becomes popular enough)

> arch?

Never seriously tried it, but it should be OK, if you have the client
installed on all the computers you wish to checkout the homepage.

> subversion?

I had a lot with Subversion and it's very nice. The command-set of it aims to
be a superset of CVS as much as possible, and actually feels like a real
versioned filesystem. Working with it gives you so much more peace of mind
than working with CVS, that I already find working with CVS very painful.

The service is a dedicated one, and requires an Apache 2 HTTP WebDAV-based
module or its own custom server (which is easier to set up but less
powerful). The database is binary, and has been known to become corrupt
sporadically, (maybe because of the underlying Berkeley DB). It is
recommended to back up the repository or its changesets textual
representation regularly, but that goes without saying to any other version
control system.

> rsync?

rsync is not a version control system. It doesn't have atomic commits, and
does not preserve history. It's a great tool, but you're better off with
CVS/Subversion/Arch.

> tarballs updated by a cron job and scp ?

Blaahhhh.... %-)

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il