[linux-elitists] homedir repository

Sun Feb 8 14:56:51 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 02:27:30PM -0800, Rob Walker wrote:

> So I know I am behind the times by a few years on this one, but where do
> you all keep your static data, config files, things you need on multiple
> machines?
>
> I know some people keep their home directory config files in bitkeeper,
> http://www.bitkeeper.com/v2_logging/contact.html .
>
> I was about to start using CVS, then realized that maybe one of the
> competing solutions was the answer.

I keep parts of my ~ in CVS:

http://lightconsulting.com/~thalakan/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jrstools

For the past few years, I've always been close enough to my laptop,
the Internet, or my car to get fast access to the files on each.  I
don't do anything special to sync them up; if it's a code project it's
usually in CVS or SourceSafe and I check stuff in when I'm done
working.  Everything else is either there at an arbitrary revision or
its not, and it's usually not a big deal to get it if its not.

--
 - Jason              Last known location:  4.5 miles southeast of Fremont, CA

"I found out why my car was humming.  It had forgotten the words."