[linux-elitists] On spam, stamps, and hygiene

Rick Bradley roundeye@roundeye.net
Sat Feb 7 01:34:43 PST 2004

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [040206 23:41]:
>     Spam volume by ASN, top 100 contributing ASNs
>     http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Images/spam-by-asn.png
>
>     Cumulative spam volume by ASN, top 100 contributing ASNs
>     http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Images/cum-spam-by-asn.png

Not trying to sound like an idiot here, but those graphs show an obvious
power law.  Plot that first graph log-log and look at the line you get.

Which prompts the question:  How does the maxim "them what has, gets"
apply to the physics of the spammer universe?  "People" must know where
to go to get their spam sent, and some society must know who're the
biggest and "best" spammers.

Take out the top spammers and you cripple the spamming network.  Do it
in a high-profile way and you deal a serious blow to spamming in
general.  This tells me that technology alone shifts the graph downwards
but doesn't change its shape, while legal action against the biggest
offenders is likely to change the shape of the graph.

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 432
                       |  After some research,
   random email haiku  |  I realize that Brooktree