[linux-elitists] On spam, stamps, and hygiene

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Feb 6 14:37:59 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:36:06PM -0800, Mister Bad wrote:

> So, I find it wondersome that so few of these media discussions bring up the
> issue of digital signatures. Signed mail is not forged mail. Signed mail

Which: inline'd, or maimed? Latter will be stripped, cause much anguish among
>60% of MUA base, or outright bounced or rejected.

> does not break SMTP, MIME, or other standards. Signed mail does not require
> a central authority to authenticate mail. Signed mail is better.

Chugging out certs by the metric shitload is cheap; so is setting up faux
trust networks. Trust is just an integer. It's only good if it's close to
node that are you. But that's highly nontrivial to deploy blanketly, in a
world that even can't handle plain signatures right.

> This message is not signed because I don't trust the server yet. But it should
> be! Reject this message!

Don't put gift in a wooden horse's mouth; it's all Greek to me.