[linux-elitists] Bluetooth Presence Modules

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Feb 5 09:28:37 PST 2004

begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 04:51:34PM -0800:

> No match for "ORKULT.COM".

(No more social network sites for me.  I have filled
out my share of web forms already.)

Thank you for inviting me to join your network of
friends or contacts on a social network site.

I'm probably not on the one to which you invited
me, or maybe I made an account there and forgot
my password.

Do we really want to do the 1980s thing of having to
have accounts on multiple online services to deal
with different groups of people?  Or fall into the
same trap as IM users on the "consumer Internet"?

Are you going to spend hours collecting and publishing
your network information, only to have it locked up
under a social network site's EULA?

Social network sites aren't email or phone service.
We don't need them -- they're a cool hack with
potential.  The right place for a cool hack isn't
in an information bunker -- it's out in the open.
This is why people publish their own web sites and
"blogs" instead of just participating in CompuServe.

So if your email address is already on the web,
I'm just going to put you in my FOAF file.

  http://zgp.org/~dmarti/foaf.rdf

FOAF is a cross-site standard for publishing links
among people.  If you really want me listed on your
social network site of choice, you can ask them to
pull from my FOAF file.

If you would like to put up your own FOAF file,
please visit

  http://www.foaf-project.org/

and try the foaf-a-matic.  It's as easy as joining
a social network site, but you only have to do
it once.  Feel free to link to my FOAF file when you
create yours.

There is a prototype FOAF-based social network site
at: http://beta.plink.org/  And you don't have to
type in all your information again to participate.
Having fun yet?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                          Learn Linux and free software