Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Tue Feb 3 13:23:34 PST 2004

begin  Rick Moen Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> Quoting Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net):
> > Given Rick's history with technical details (such as the Reply-To
> > header) I'm not hoping for a great informed conversation, but at
> > least you guys could fling poo at SOFTWARE instead of EACH OTHER.
>
> Summary for those who don't follow Nick's fuzzy mudslinging from
> mailing list to mailing list:

	http://teh.entar.net/~nick/mail/reply-to-make-rick-moen-SMASH

	It's a most enjoyable thread.

> (NOTE: Even that ignored my point, which was my reading of the
> poster's _intent_, not MUA mechanics and RFCs.)

	(See also: booby prize)

	Note particularly the anecdote in the above URL'd thread about
Netscape prompting for From: and Reply-To: values in a confusing yet
non-destructive manner.

> Nick rather sarcastically asked for examples of such MUAs.  I said I
> dimly recall that that was a problem with pine and others on various
> OSes (Win32, MacOS), none of which I have at my disposal, nor intend
> to spend time and effort finding just to address a basically
> un-interesting question.  Nick said this was _not_, in fact, true of
> pine, then launched into the verbal abuse thing.  I repeated that I
> didn't have time for this, and wasn't about to collect some
> menagerie of MUAs in order to pursue the matter.

	You poor little abused kitten, Rick!  How could they have
tried to confuse you so with *facts*!

	A quick read-through of the above-referenced thread
will either confirm or contradict this view of the conversation.  The
end result is left as an interesting exercise for the lay reader.

	Basically, Rick Moen needs a rewrite.  He's lost all the deft
footwork and solid reasoning that amazed audiences in the 1990s.  I
say we do it all in Pascal this time!

	-- Lewis Mumford

end