rejecting spam at SMTP time (was Re: Postfix anti-antivirus (was Re: [linux-elitists] etc))

Brian McGroarty brian@mcgroarty.net
Tue Feb 3 13:12:26 PST 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:08:50AM -0500, Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:

> I recently started rejecting most incoming mail to my site, and
> it feels great! (anything with SA score > 10 is rejected.)
>
> I waded through a bunch of obsolete/irrelevant documentation
> before finding the easy way:
>
>  1. apt-get install exim4-daemon-heavy spamassassin
>
>  2. Edit /etc/exim4/conf.d/acl/40_exim4-config_check_data
>
>     Add something like this before the last line that says 'accept':
>
> deny message = Sorry, this smells like spam; rejected. For more
>     info, please see
>     http://impressive.net/people/gerald/2004/01/spam.html
>
>         spam = nobody:true
>         condition = ${if >{$spam_score_int}{100}{1}{0}}

I see a lot of spam come trough mailing lists, especially via the
Debian and FreeBSD lists.

How do the list programs take to these rejected messages? Ever find
yourself automatically unsubscribed from a list?