[linux-elitists] Fun with processors

Tue Feb 3 11:31:49 PST 2004

I'm putting together a presentation on frame pointer spoofing (to fake
backtraces) for both attackers and defenders for a thing I'm doing.  I
want to have a wide variety of stack pictures for the discussion, but
all I have so far are OS X, the usual x86 calling conventions, IRIX,
and Solaris.

Question: what does the stack look like before and after a procedure
call on less common platforms, like PA-RISC, AIX, or BSD/MIPS?

I keep seeing hints that the prologue code on weird platforms spooges
the floating point registers and other stuff all over the stack in
addition to the return instruction pointer, but I can't seem to find
official docs which confirm this.

--
 - Jason              Last known location:  0.7 miles southeast of Fremont, CA

All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.