rejecting spam at SMTP time (was Re: Postfix anti-antivirus (was Re: [linux-elitists] etc))

Gerald Oskoboiny gerald@impressive.net
Mon Feb 2 23:08:50 PST 2004

* Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> [2004-02-02 22:21-0800]

> The sa-exim patches to do SA/Razor processing _during_ SMTP sessions in
> addition to Exim4's own rulesets knocks it out of the park for me, at
> present.

me too.

I recently started rejecting most incoming mail to my site, and
it feels great! (anything with SA score > 10 is rejected.)

I waded through a bunch of obsolete/irrelevant documentation
before finding the easy way:

 1. apt-get install exim4-daemon-heavy spamassassin

 2. Edit /etc/exim4/conf.d/acl/40_exim4-config_check_data

    Add something like this before the last line that says 'accept':

    deny   message = Sorry, this smells like spam; rejected. For more info, please see http://impressive.net/people/gerald/2004/01/spam.html
        spam = nobody:true
        condition = ${if >{$spam_score_int}{100}{1}{0}}

    (details: http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan-acl/exiscan-acl-spec.txt )

 3. Run update-exim4.conf to regenerate the exim4 config file based
    on the contents of /etc/exim4/conf.d/

 4. /etc/init.d/exim4 reload

I think that's all I had to do, but may have missed something.

I was nervous about doing this for all email to my site, but
checked my past email intake and decided it would probably be OK.
But I'm sure it could use tuning, improvements welcome.

(oh, of course, Marc Merlin posted about this long ago, I was just
happy to find that it is now so easy to set up, using only core
debian packages (in sarge or sid))

Otherwise, I have been happy with Postfix.