Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Mon Feb 2 22:48:26 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Mike MacCana">
>
> > > Not gconf?
> >
> > Not sure if you were being serious or not, but I've been using gconf a
> > fair bit to modify settings in kickstart post-install scripts and I've
> > found it surprisingly robust. I'd love it if Postfix / BIND / DHCPd
> > everything else had patches to use it. No more config file format of the
> > month.
>
> Oh dude, what are you saying? Now you're linux-elitists flame sink of the
> week. Spicy!

Hehe. Yay Devil's advocate. Actually, I'd be happy with the following two
and a half simple rules:

Application Developers:

Didn't feel the need to reinvent their file formats from the last app. Do
I set a variable to a value with variable value, or variable=value? Or
start a section with [] ultil the next [] or <> until </>?

Its nice to see a little progress here. Eg, with recent Bind, its possible
to say that pretty much every server app that ships with my distro uses ashes
for comments in its config file. Rather than explain to new users why it
doesn't.

Interface Developers:

* Kept any comments directly above settings as comments for those
settings. Blank lines are a delimiter. CLI admins are happy because their
careful comments aren't killed. GUI admins / users are happy because the
dude with the beard isn't yelling at them.

Some kind of editable tooltip thing to edit such comments inside the
config interfaces would be super nifty.

* To a lesser extent, keep any lines at the top of the file not associated
with a config option as a kind of header to the file, for site specific
useful stuff to know.

Mike