Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Mon Feb 2 17:49:58 PST 2004

<quote who="Andrew">

> Actually that's something I'd be interested in hearing the other elitists'
> opinions on -- MTAs that give you
> a) qmail's security and speed
> b) Maildir/
> c) SMTP-TLS
> d) virtual users

Postfix.

> e) IMAP/POP solutions that work with d)

Courier IMAP/POP, Cyrus or Dovecot (probably a bit bleeding edge if you're
an ISP, but definitely worth testing out for smaller orgs).

> f) qmail-style "on the fly" aliases (user-alias@domain)

I have to say I don't find this important, but you can always use + aliasing
and procmail.

> g) easy and fast mailing lists

Mailman.

> h) administrative software for d), f) and g)

vim? :-) So, I automate most of this and use things like cfengine and make,
but if you need clicky-clicky tools then there are webmin plugins for most
of the above. Or, you could just use SuSE OpenExchange, which uses all of
the stuff mentioned above (Cyrus for IMAP/POP). Mailman already has web
based admin stuff, but you can also use the command line tools.

- Jeff

   "Oh my god, if I get killed, Meryl Streep will get an award playing my
          life and I would be really pissed off." - Susan Sarandon