Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Mon Feb 2 17:48:23 PST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Andrew wrote:

> Yeah qmail's an acquired taste... problem is that after you're used to it
> everything else seems plain old wrong or featureless.  I don't know if it's
> because you spent so much time configuring the bitch and you'll be
> god-damned if any other MTA will measure up due to all the time and energy
> you put into it, or if you fall in love with vpopmail or what...
>
> Actually that's something I'd be interested in hearing the other elitists'
> opinions on -- MTAs that give you

> a) qmail's security and speed - check out russel cokers mail becnhmark
thingy whose name i forgot
> b) Maildir - Yup
> c) SMTP-TLS - Yup
> d) virtual users - Yup
> e) IMAP/POP solutions that work with d) - Yup
> f) qmail-style "on the fly" aliases (user-alias@domain) - You mean
minusing? I wouldn't call it aliases, but yeah, postfix does them.

I've used Postfix for all of these. Its also Open Source and works without
taking over my system as if it wasa Unix MTA version of RealPlayer.

> g) easy and fast mailing lists
> h) administrative software for d), f) and g)

Not much of a list admin, but I would be surprised if there wasn't. With h
I'm not sure. There's very few Unix administrative apps I like.

Mike