Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Mon Feb 2 17:23:53 PST 2004

> > Mine's qmail + hella patches + vpopmail + rav + procmail + spamassassin
> > + courier imap/pop3 + squirrelmail (with qmail doing SMTP-TLS and
> > courier doing SSL and TLS) is my particular lineup.

> Ew. :-)

Yeah qmail's an acquired taste... problem is that after you're used to it
everything else seems plain old wrong or featureless.  I don't know if it's
because you spent so much time configuring the bitch and you'll be
god-damned if any other MTA will measure up due to all the time and energy
you put into it, or if you fall in love with vpopmail or what...

Actually that's something I'd be interested in hearing the other elitists'
opinions on -- MTAs that give you
a) qmail's security and speed
b) Maildir/
c) SMTP-TLS
d) virtual users
e) IMAP/POP solutions that work with d)
f) qmail-style "on the fly" aliases (user-alias@domain)
g) easy and fast mailing lists
h) administrative software for d), f) and g)

I guess part of my lack of desire to move away from qmail has to do with
that list above...  especially vpopmail, I have not seen a virtual user
system that works as nicely... but then again I might be blinded to the "it
was damned expensive (timewise), of course it's the best." mentality.

My qmail patchlist is quite long actually:
badmailunk.diff
badrcptto.patch
qmailqueue-patch
accept-5xx.patch
condredirect.diff
qmail-1.03-mfcheck.3.patch
qmail-103-bigdns.patch
tarpit.patch
ext_todo-20020524.patch
nullenvsender-recipcount.patch
qmail-0.0.0.0.patch
qmail-1.03-qmtpc.patch
qmail-bouncecontrol-1.03.patch
qmail-1.03-tls.patch
netscape-progress.patch
qmail-send.mimeheaders.diff
qmail-send.mimeheaders+bouncecountrol.fix.patch
qmail-pop3d+vpopmail.c.diff

The next round will have a couple more patches but I haven't got that list
handy.  :-)

Maildir/  is practically mandatory.  I don't know how the hell I ever got
along with huge-ass mail spools, and it's NFS-fast and safe.

> Tried sqwebmail? It's part of the courier collection.

Yeah I think I did, I think it was pretty much feature-less (no plugin
ability and pretty ugly to actually view/use) but I might be full of it.  I
am going to evaluate it again now.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew.