[linux-elitists] DVD Shrink

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Mon Feb 2 09:14:42 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:00:15AM -0800, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> On 02 Feb 2004 at 11:21:34, Greg Folkert arranged the bits on my disk to say:
> > Ain't gonna get to far with use here... The page says to disable
> > PopUp-Killers.
> > If you don't, goes --> nowhere. Forever Spinny-Blinky-Thingy in the
> > Browser.
> Noticed that, but interestingly enough Firebird 0.7 opens it just fine...
> even with Firebird's popup blocker on.

It's a link which opens in a new window using JavaScript, rather than an
automatic popup that would be executed when you load the initial page.
The latter use is more troublesome and much more frequently associated
with unwanted advertisements, and that's what Firebird blocks. The former
(force open link in new window) is just misguided: they want to be able
to specify the dimensions of the window in which the content appears and
also get rid of browser buttons.

Some people just can't let go of control over presentation.
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam