{Spam?} Re: [linux-elitists] Ubuntu Love

Michael Montaigne rosebud@sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Dec 18 07:05:18 PST 2004

Ah, back to the hustings...

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:52:25PM -0800, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:

> 	"Varvaros" was the term the Greeks made up for anyone who
> didn't speak Greek.  It was originally onomatopoeia, mimicking someone
> going "varr varr varr".  Since we're not speaking Greek, nearly all
> our words are barbarous by definition.

I am glad to have been able to provide you an occasion for the display of
your evident enjoyment of the study of the ancients. But you fall victim to
the genetic fallacy, confusing the origins and development of a thing with
the thing itself. It's a failing for many who excessively tarry in the
historical depths.

> 	Your post reminds me of this guy:
>
> 		http://teh.entar.net/~nick/mail/neutered-zombies

I could find no reason to wade through all that. If anyone else has, they
haven't seen fit to say so or comment on what they found therein. The chain
of associations which led you to be "reminded" of that piece of text might
with justification be termed LOOSE.

> 	Ahead pomposity factor six!

Feels more like pedantry factor six...

--