[linux-elitists] ATI Radeon support

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Tue Dec 14 19:52:32 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 04:29:02PM -0500, Etienne Goyer wrote:

> You don't need to be genetically augmented to see the difference in
> graphic quality between an MX400 and a GT 6800 playing Doom3.  There is
> more than polygons per second involved, BTW.

The flip side of that is, if you're doing CAD/CAM on a gear
assembly or a part intended to be produced by injection molding,
or are trying to pick out the biopolymer residues from a
crystallographic electron density map of the gigantisome, you
probably don't give a fig for real-time texture mapping ad
nauseum.  Gene's point isn't to set free software up to compete
for the drooling, square-eyed, cramped-finger attentions of PC
FPS gamers so much as it is to let those of us either trying to
do spatially-involved technical work, or trying to train others
to do such work, to do so with free-as-in-speech tools.  I mean,
it's nice that the gamers are driving the development of this
hardware and all, but gaming is not why we care about it.

One just wants to be able to do basic 3D transforms--zoom,
translate, rotate--on an "in silico" workpiece in real time.  I
mean, seriously, there's no such thing as a realistic "texture"
for an atom or an atomic bond, and nobody cares what the
whatchamacallit's surface looks like so long as it meshes well
with the thingamajig and we can don't waste too much material as
sprue.

Now, the geologists, on the other hand, might like to paint an
aerial or satellite photo over their topo maps-made-3D, so
*they* probably care about stuff akin to texture mapping.

--
Joe