[linux-elitists] ATI Radeon support

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Tue Dec 14 13:50:23 PST 2004

On 14 Dec 2004 at 13:36:22, Ben Finney arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> > I also think that it would be better if there was some kind of feature
> > that the community could provide in their driver set that the hardware
> > companies couldn't;
>
> Again, I don't see why it has to be us versus them.

Because their sole purpose for existing is to make money for their
shareholders (conning people into buying graphics hardware they "need" is
a close second).

Ours are creating operating systems, tools, and the like that Don't Suck
(tm), stealing Windows (the only reason you'd want a "bare" PC, right?),
destroying the commercial software market the world over, trying to get
HURD to boot, and FREE BEER FOR ALL, depending on who you ask and how
coherent The Community (as meaningless a phrase when it's applied to the
homosexual population) is feeling that day.

There's a slight incompatibility in goals there, if for no other reason than
The Community (tm) doesn't *always* have a coherent goal... that is, if it
*ever* does.

Later,
Paul
J. Paul Reed -- 0xDF8708F8 || preed@sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
                                            -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I use PGP; you should use PGP too... if only to piss off John Ashcroft