[linux-elitists] ATI Radeon support

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@videotron.ca
Mon Dec 13 20:01:01 PST 2004

Ben Finney wrote:
> On 13-Dec-2004, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>
>>Ben Finney wrote:
>>
>>>ATI has already released free software 3D drivers, why can't they
>>>continue to do so?
>>
>>Which driver are you talking about ?
>

> I'm not sure.  My impression, based on past beatings of this drum, was
> that some ATI cards had free software drivers for 3D, but later cards do
> not.  I may be mistaken in thinking they released the drivers themselves
> under a free software license.

Indeed.  *If* I recall correctly, there are OSS driver for the Radeon
8500 family, which have been written by Precision Insight on contract by
The Weather Channel.  I kind of recall having read that ATi was
cooperative with providing documentation to the developper.  According
to report from friends who use said 3D accelerated OSS driver, the
performance is pathetic compared to the binary driver, though.