[linux-elitists] ATI Radeon support

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Mon Dec 13 17:09:04 PST 2004

On 13-Dec-2004, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 12:04:45PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
> > I'd rather [ATI] fixed their licensing first.

I'd settle for them releasing full 3D specs, if they don't want to
release the software.  I don't care who writes the drivers, so long as
they're free software and give full access to the features of the
hardware.

> As much as I wish it, this is not going to happen. nVidia and ATI have
> the IP equivalent of mutual nuclear overkill. Whoever going to do it
> first, is going to go out of business, quick (though the other party
> suing it into the ground).

Care to elaborate?  What is it about one party releasing free software
drivers, that the other would sue for?  Do they each have NDAs with the
other, or something?

ATI has already released free software 3D drivers, why can't they
continue to do so?

--
 \             "Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have |
  `\                                         others."  -- Groucho Marx |