[linux-elitists] Multisync, Evolution 2, Bluetooth, oh my!

Peter Whysall peter.whysall@ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 13 13:52:49 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 13:57 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Peter Whysall">
>
> > Is it possible to synchronize a Bluetooth phone that supports all the
> > usual IRMC/OBEX doin's with Evolution 2.0?
>
> So, if you have the very latest synce and multisync (or opensync) from CVS,
> yes you can. The {multi,open}sync support is *very* new, but it talks to
> e-d-s and does all the right things. The previous Evolution 1.4 support was
> pretty good, so beyond ironing out bugs and so on, this should be sane.
>
> - Jeff

It works!

Here's the rig:

Software:
Evolution 2.0.3
Multisync 0.82
libbluetooth1 2.11
libmultisync-plugin-irmc-bluetooth 0.82
libmultisync-plugin-evolution 0.82
bluez-utils 2.10
bluez-pin 0.24
bluez-hcidump 1.12
kernel-patch-2.6-bluez 20041010
kernel 2.6.8

Hardware:
Bluetooth adapter: D-Link DBT-120
Phone: Sony Ericsson K700i

I had a miserable time trying to get this going with Evolution 2.1 (aka
evolution2.2) because there's a known packaging problem which means that
some files are absent from the Debian package, rendering the
evolution-data-server unworkable.

Rolling back to 2.0 worked like a champ.

Cheers to the Evo team
Cheers to the Multisync team
Cheers to the Bluez team

(I note with some satisfaction that this, even after all the pain with
Evo 2.1, was easier to get going than the clusterfuck that is Bluetooth
on Windows. iSync, however, is so drop-dead brilliant that there's some
way to go before the Evo/Multisync combination gets there)

*does a happy dance*

P.