[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 22:55:49 PST 2004

Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> s/rpm/vi/
>>> s/deb/emacs/
>>>
>> The fact that you can substitute words in my sentence doesn't prove
>> your point.
>

> Just that its nearly the same argument, and what we're really
> witnessing here is "baby duck syndrome".  The editor wars never prove
> a point, either.

I'm not indulging in a packaging war - I'm actually saying they're
unnecessary, as they're pretty much the same.
Vi and Emacs are sufficiently different from a design point of view (vi
is a small editor that can be something you put into a larger program,
emacs is the larger program consisting of many parts). RPM and Deb are not.

>> Of course, there'd be people who hate RPM anyway, cause of what the R
>> once stood for, and the fact they used an ancient version of it with
>> no dependency resolution tools and had a negative experience.
>

> Well, that was my experience.

Indeed, its a common one.

> More recently I tried FC2 on an old laptop, and it crawled.  up2date
> crawled too.  Bleaah.  (And with Brian Chee living just over the hill,
> its a little embarrassing to show up to the LUAU/HOSEF meetings and
> have to rag on FCn.)
>
> Debian's apt has served me well.   I've got machines in colo that run
> apt-cron and they stay nice and up-to-date (pun intended) with very
> little
> attention.

True - up2date is slower than apt - OTOH it had some nifty features,
like the ability to use a directory full of packages as a source,
without having to create indexes). But that's besides the point.
Apt-get, up2date, yum etc aren't rpm and deb. They're so similar well
designed tools like apt can abstract them.

> however Debian sucks on a couple other fronts.  In particular, its
> nearly impossible to make redboot build on it, because some lamer
> decided to put
> TCL where s/he wanted to, rather than someplace ... special.

Again, that's not a packaging system thing - highlighting my point from
earlier that most people's complains are policies and tools that sit on
top of the particular packaging system.

Debian is standards compliant - if it wasn't in the FHS annointed
location, you should be able to file a bug against that package.

Mike